2/08/2008

Satanism and its relation to Christianity

I found an article by a person called Rex Monday. He wrote a article that among other things dealt with the relationship Satanism has with Christianity. I found his thoughts very interesting and they really point to some good information that not everyone might be ready to accept:

Since I have mentioned Christianity in passing, I will now deal with the question of the relationship between Christianity and Satanism. I make no bones of the fact that I was a Christian before I became a Satanist, as were, to varying degrees I suppose, my colleagues. I have seen, time and time again, the charge by modern neo-pagans that Satanists are merely inverted Christians. To some extent, this charge is fell-founded. The relationship between Christianity and Satanism is very much like the relationship between the various schools of Tantrism and orthodox Vedanta. After all, the tantric’s use of meat, wine, and sexual intercourse are only shocking within the context of orthodox belief. In the west, we think nothing of wining and dining as a prelude to sexual intercourse - providing of course that the lady pays! In the same way, Satanism rejects the Christian values of chastity, meekness, denial of pleasure and the flesh, and bending the knee to a God who is all-pervasive. What the neo-pagans miss of course, is that they themselves are as influenced by Christian values as anyone else. It is too easy by far to simply embrace something which seems to be the antithesis of normality, without examining how one is bound by those values which, on the surface, one is seemingly rejecting. Christian values have infected modern Satanic groups in much the same way. This can be seen in the way that modern exponents of Satanism have concerned themselves with ‘becoming strong, and crushing the weak’. This desire to project one’s own values onto other people masks a deep-seated insecurity, and is little more than the Christian desire to ‘save souls’ by another name. The Satanist does not merely ‘invert’ the Christian impulse to interminably bother other people, but overcomes it, so that he is not at all concerned with other people apart from his chosen colleagues. For myself, it is much more ‘satanic’ to have mastered the art of minding my own business, rather than setting myself up to pronounce the fate of other, ‘lesser’ mortals.

No comments: